Friday, March 2, 2007

Note to Legally Blonde

I referred you to my site then when I started to write, I realized the employment problem is a huge issue and I had so much to say I don't know where to start.

I'm unemployed by choice. After 3-1/2 years of doing good work, I realized I was being taken advantage of with no reasonable hope of getting the wages and benefits I needed. Long story, and although I was in the right to resign and I'm glad I did, what I'm finding for alternatives is dismal. I had a 29-year track record of steady employment. I have always had a good reputation and have done good work. Since resigning, I've done a few handyman jobs and I have located one steady, recurring temp position (2 days per month). Despite having 29 years of experience and having an advanced degree, there just doesn't seem to be much out there. Like Legally Blonde, I'm finding that I need to take a different approach to career search. I have not figured it out yet. I've got some stuff started in a draft file, and when I pull my thoughts together, I'll publish. Until then, I'll say this: I think that those individuals who are between starting college and recent graduates are going to have a serious problem finding reasonable employment. I think those that are not going to college -- those going to tech school, trade school, apprenticeships, and similar -- are going to have a better time of it. I think it's time to restructure our thinking regarding "traditional" approaches such as college, law school, medical school, etc. The world is moving so fast that traditional educational approaches can't keep up with the change. By the time one graduates, the knowledge is often already obsolete. The expectations of graduating with a degree and finding work in that field is certainly obsolete. More on this later.

1 comment:

The Yuppie Attorney said...

I understand where Ms. Elle Woods is coming from. It is more difficult to make it in the Legal profession than people believe, -even with hard work and long hours. Don't believe TV programs showing lawyers rich and well rested. The return on investment for a Law degree isn't worth it.