Monday, February 5, 2007

Job Safari

Well, another opportunity gone by. I was informed that an Illinois company who was otherwise interested in me felt that I had too much experience and couldn't be mentored into their operation (read "too old, you geezer!!"). Also, I wanted too much money. Never mind that what they were offering was more than I've ever made. But, the good news -- what they were offering would have been hard to live on in, I'm assuming, in the Chicago area. Funny thing is, I really don't want to move from here unless I have to -- it's kind of like home here, despite some of the problems developing with this area. I've always thought it best to go where the jobs are. Now, I can't seem to find them anywhere. A side effect of aging and being a past business owner -- nobody comes looking for me any more like they used to. The moral of the story is, keep positive, keep looking, keep up your network, always have a resume out there circulating, and, I hate to say it, cover your own butt by meeting your own needs and don't worry about anyone else (as long as you don't have to compromise your moral values). If anyone tries to take advantage of you, set them straight as soon in the game as you can, using your best assertiveness. I'm still glad I quit -- it was the only way for me to maintain my self image in that sick situation I was in.

Super Bowl Sunday -- it was interesting to have a super bowl party when nobody really cares which teams are in the big game. Much easier to talk and socialize.

No comments: